Thursday, July 4, 2013

3 de julio


Today Lindsay and I decided to settle into our apartment by stocking it with more food. While our first trip to Disco, the supermarket, had been quite fruitful, we had left the apartment with no plan or list of things to buy and came back with a random, but delicious, assortment of whatever food we decided to buy on a whim. We remembered things like eggs, a roast chicken, Argentine cookies, and a yogurt drink called Actimel (which is delicious and fortified with extra Vitamin C to help keep me healthy). But we forgot things like paper towels, olive oil to cook with, bread and toilet paper. This should not be taken to mean that our second trip to Disco was all business; we still came home with chicken empanadas to go along with our dinner. As I said before, Disco is similar to supermarkets in the US, right down to the Game of Thrones (Choque de Reyes) books displayed temptingly in the check-out line. But the meat section was not only much more impressive, with an entire wall full of delicious, fresh cuts of beef (including certain cuts, like pale intestines squeezed into into packaging and looking like an overlay brain, that aroused my curiosity more than my appetite), but significantly less expensive than meat would be in the US. Next time I'm getting steak and chimichurri, the classic Argentine sauce used on grilled meat. 

So far it has been easier than I expected to understand the Argentinian accent. The "ll" sounds different, but I already knew about that and I like how it sounds. I haven't started doing it yet, but I might in a week or so. By the end of the month my Spanish accent might be even more of a mutt than it already is! People in Argentina, especially Buenos Aires, tend to speak quickly, but it was the same way in Madrid so that's an easy adjustment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment