We were then lead upstairs to the special Argentine Experience room of the restaurant (which was very nice) and sat down at one of two tables, both of which had about ten people. We were given a chef hat and apron to wear as well, partially to keep our clothes safe during the empanada making and mostly for entertainment value. First, we made the basic empanada. Really, we just stuffed and closed the empanada since the fillings were already made. We could chose from beef stew, vegetarian ratatouille, mozzarella cheese, and caramelized onions, and I filled mine with all but the veggies.
We learned the proper technique for closing and folding the empanada edge for an empanada de carne. Mine turned out pretty well, so if all else fails I can open an artisan empanada bakery in Palo Alto. As I said before, the fold of the empanada (usually) tells you the filling, and they had a handy guide for what fold means what.
Our folded empanadas were collected, and as they baked in the oven we began the novelty empanada contest. I made a seahorse and Lindsay made a stegosaurus, but the winner of the competition was the octopus.
We snacked on chimichurri, mini provaletas (fried provolone cheese), and sliced chorizo while we waited for the empanadas to bake, and when the empanadas came out of the oven they were really delicious. I especially liked the caramelized onions as filling since I hadn't eaten one like that yet (and I had eaten a lot of empanadas up to this point).
No comments:
Post a Comment