Monday, July 15, 2013

Tigre, Argentine Experience (part 2)


bakeries selling mountains of pan casero, medialunas and other pastries:


parrillas with hunks of meat slowly cooking on the grills in a large brick oven:


kioskos (kiosks/corner stores) selling candied nuts and fruit and other snacks:

and stalls with mouth-watering combinations of salami, cheese and olives. 

I also found a really cool booth that was selling hand-cut coins as necklace pennants, and bought one to remind me of that fantastic month I spent in Argentina.

On our way home, I had an unexpected political moment with graffiti on the side of the train tracks. Apparently, the hatred of Monsanto has spread to Argentina.

When Lindsay and I did the food tour last week, we were recommended an event called the Argentine Experience. They said the food was better, the leaders more entertaining, and the whole thing was generally more fun. Now that I've done both, I 
have to agree. It seems a little hokey, but it really was a fun introduction to Argentine culture (a little late for us since we've been here over a week, but oh well). When we arrived, we were greeted with a house special cocktail called malbeca: Malbec wine, pisco (a Peruvian alcohol), lime and sparkling water. It was delicious and reminded me of tinto de verano (the red wine and lemon soda mixture popular in Spain), but with a little more zip.








No comments:

Post a Comment