Wednesday, July 10, 2013

¡Feliz 9 de Julio!


I woke up this morning to rain. I somehow forgot to pack an umbrella, so I took refuge under the hook of my raincoat as Lindsay and I flagged down ataxi to the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (MNBA). We figured that a museum was a perfect outing for a rainy day. Also it's free, which is a plus. The museum is quite extensive, so today we just did the medieval, renaissance, baroque, and impressionist paintings. They were all European and included some very famous artists like Rubens, van Gogh, Manet and Degas. We (or at least I) will definitely come back another day to wander through the rest of the museum. There's also a great Latin American art museum with some Frida Kahlo that I'll check out too.



Today is el 9 de julio, Argentina's Independence Day. Most of the celebrations occurred last night, for example the bar we went to for the birthday celebration was packed even though it was a Monday night. People tend to hang out with their families rather than have big parties, and there wasn't a parade or festival or anything for the occasion. 

Lindsay stumbled upon "Gringo Comedy Night", the only English stand up comedy in Buenos Aires, so we met Dave and Lucía at the restaurant, wound our way up two flights of narrow stairs and found ourselves in a speak easy-sequence comedy club. There were three comedians, one from the US and two Latin American but I wasn't entirely sure where they were from, and the host was British. All were great, and we might go back. I also had my first caipirinha, a very popular Brazilian cocktail made with cachaca (alcohol made from sugar cane), sugar and lime juice. It was tasty, but the cachaca has an unusual flavor that will take some getting used to.

After the show we all came back to the apartment for a drink, where we were joined by a few other friends, and had a fun night chatting and laughing until 3:30am (perfectly normal in Argentina). 


No comments:

Post a Comment